How good and pleasant it is when God's people live together in unity! ~ Psalm 133:1
We learned over the weekend that the Government of Saskatchewan is pushing back the start of school. This delay will allow more time for school divisions, including Regina Catholic Schools, to prepare facilities and staff to receive students. The school year will begin on Tuesday, September 8, 2020.
Here is what we know for Regina Catholic Schools:
- The school year will begin with a staggered start (smaller numbers of students over the course of a few days) the week of September 8, 2020.
- High schools will employ a block schedule to reduce the number of classes within a day, and student interactions.
- Staff will return to school as scheduled and will be involved in training and other preparations for the start of in school learning.
- School specific plans will be updated this week, to be shared with families and posted online no later than Wednesday, August 26, 2020.
- Families can see the school sites in advance of the first day of school. School-based staff will share details with you.
- We are working with a hired team of infectious disease specialists on tasks such as:
- Staggering recess, lunch, and other breaks
- Creating "cohorts" of students to lower the number of people a student encounters
- Disinfecting classrooms and other learning spaces thoroughly
- The province is establishing a process for COVID-19 testing in schools, including:
- Students may be given the option to take part in voluntary testing, with parental consent.
- School public health visits for routine childhood vaccinations will now include COVID-19 testing, with parental consent.
- Premier Moe is expected to make announcements later today regarding further supports for school divisions.
We are meeting this week with all our school-based administrators to update site specific Return to School plans. These will include all our mitigation strategies to reduce the risk of virus transmission. Safety is what will govern our plans. You will receive these via email on or before Wednesday, August 26, 2020. Until then, please visit www.rcsd.ca for frequent updates.
Regina Catholic Schools
Know. Love. Serve.