December 8, 2020
Temporary move to Level Four for Regina Catholic Schools
Our Board of Trustees voted on December 7, 2020 to temporarily move students in PreK to Grade 12 to Level Four, which is learning remotely from home. We will provide options for students in specialized programming. This will be effective Monday, December 14, 2020 until Friday, January 8, 2021.
This difficult decision was based on:
- increased transmission rates in the City of Regina
- fear and anxiety related to COVID resulting in decreased student attendance
- growing concerns about contacting families with direction to isolate
- challenges to our available substitute staff
- alignment with Public Health directives.
Students will be engaged from home during the typical school day for both weeks at Level Four. This is not the same as the Supplemental Learning we provided in the spring. This is mandatory curricular content delivered remotely to students. This is not an extension of Christmas break. All students should do their best to attend school each day this week so they are prepared for remote learning next week.
We are prepared for making this change. Our teachers and support staff are ready to provide learning throughout the regular school day. They have ensured our students are familiar with the online platforms they will use. Paper copies will be a part of learning to cut down screen time and allows for flexible learning for you to support your children. Our division staff has contingency plans in place to help families who may not have access to devices for learning, or data for connection.
We will work with families of students in our specialized programming to provide learning opportunities for those students, which may include remaining at Level Two (face to face with masks) or moving to Level Three (hybrid of face to face and remote learning). School staff will work with families to determine attendance for those students.
To summarize, here is the schedule for Regina Catholic Schools for December 14, 2020 to January 11, 2021.
- December 8 to 11, 2020: Face to face learning for elementary students, continued hybrid learning for high school students
- December 14 to 18, 2020: Remote learning – students will learn from home and staff will work in schools
- December 21, 2020 to January 1, 2021: Scheduled December break – no school for students
- January 4 to 8, 2021: Remote learning – students will learn from home and staff will work in schools