Designated Sport: Inter-School Badminton is offered as part of our Catholic education program under the authority of Regina Catholic Schools.
Guiding Principles: Coaches are responsible for upholding our Catholic values and these Guidelines for Elementary Inter-School Sports Activities.
Coaches are Responsible and Accountable: Coaches are responsible for the control and activities of their team. Coaches are accountable to their school principal. The Guidelines for Elementary Inter-School Sports shall apply to all regular season play and playoffs.
Regular season play should focus on getting to know your team and player skill development. All eligible students should be given an opportunity to compete and enjoy equal playing time. Game scores will have no affect on playoffs.
A pre-season meeting will be held and coaches will arrange for regular season games. All teams should play a minimum of 1 game each week.
Each coach will identify students to represent their school at the junior and senior levels.
The playoff schedule will be established by the Physical Education/Health Consultant. The city-wide playoff tournament will be held at the end of the badminton season. The tournament will be a double knockout format.
Establishing Your School Team:
1) Grade 5 -8 Inter-School Badminton includes the following age classifications as of December 31, 2018:
Junior Division - Singles
Midget Boys/Girls – 11 years old
Peewee Boys/Girls – 12 years old
Senior Division – Singles, Boys Doubles*, Girls Doubles*, and Mixed Doubles*
Bantam Boys/Girls – 13 years old
Senior Boys/Girls – 14 years and up
*doubles can be any combination of bantam and senior athletes.
2) Every student should be given an opportunity to play a least one game against a student from another school during regular season play.
3) Coaches along with school based administration should establish a sound rationale for the team selection process that is consistent with the Guidelines for Elementary Inter-School Sports Activities in Regina Catholic Schools.
4) Coaches should establish eligibility criteria for participating on the team. Suggested criteria include:
- Attendance – students attend all practices and will notify the coach if they will be absent.
- Sportsmanship – students demonstrate a positive attitude and act as goodwill ambassadors for the school.
- "Coachability" – students are willing to respond to coaching instructions, suggestions, and ideas.
- Team Spirit – student behaviour towards all of their teammates is supportive at all times.
- Safety Considerations – a student's skill level/ability is a safety consideration for self and others.
- Rationale – Coaches should establish a sound rationale for the team selection process that is consistent with the Guidelines for Elementary Inter-School Sports Activities in Regina Catholic Schools.
5) Each participant must return a signed copy of the `Participation Agreement Form`. Coaches should keep the signed form on file until the end of the school year.
6) The rules for inter-school badminton are available on the Regina Catholic Schools website. The rules and expectations will be discussed at the pre-season coaches' meeting.
League Schedule 2018.docx
Simplified New Rally Points Scoring System2.doc
Badminton Coaches List.docx