Guidelines for Elementary Inter-School Basketball
Designated Sport: Girls' basketball and boys' basketball are offered as part of our Catholic education program under the authority of Regina Catholic Schools.
Guiding Principles: Coaches are responsible for upholding our Catholic values and these Guidelines for Elementary Inter-School Sports Activities.
Coaches are Responsible and Accountable: Coaches are responsible for the control and activities of their team. Coaches are accountable to their school principal. The Guidelines for Elementary Inter-School Sports shall apply to all regular season play and playoffs.
1) Regular season play should focus on getting to know your team and player skill development. Scores are not recorded to encourage equal playing time with less emphasis on competition. All eligible students should be given an opportunity to compete and enjoy equal playing time. Game scores will have no affect on playoffs.
2) Teams are encouraged to practice with a larger roster; however the full team does not have to travel to all games. Coaches may shorten the roster for travel (i.e.: 10 players), however, the roster should be changed so that all of the students get a chance to play.
3) The regular season begins early January. Playoffs will begin in mid February and wraps up in early March.
4) Coaches are responsible for providing one official for all games other than playoff semi-finals and finals.
5) A pre-season meeting will be held and coaches will arrange for regular season games. Each coach is responsible for contacting the other coaches to arrange for play at an appropriate competition level.
6) Coaches are encouraged to take measures to balance competition and limit the point spread (i.e.: make arrangements to play against a comparable team, reset the clock with each shift, etc)
1) The city champion will be determined by a double knock-out tournament beginning in mid February - scheduled by the Physical Education / Health Consultant.
2) Games must be completed by the specified dates.
3) Each coach will make the decision to enter into the city championship tournament.
4) Playoffs will involve competition and team selection. Playing time for playoff season will be determined by the coach. Coaches may increase court time for players and organize for a more skilled level of play.
Establishing Your School Team:
1) Do not establish your team or begin practicing until after the pre-season coaches' meeting after the Christmas holidays.
2) All teams should consist of a minimum of 10 players if possible. Coaches do not have to keep an unmanageable number of students on a team. For example, if 30 students from grade 7 and 8 came out for the team, it would be expected that some students would not make the team.
3) Coaches along with school based administration should establish a sound rationale for the team selection process that is consistent with the Guidelines for Elementary Inter-School Sports Activities in Regina Catholic Schools.
4) Coaches should establish eligibility criteria for participating on the team. Suggested criteria include:
- Attendance – students attend all practices and will notify the coach if they will be absent.
- Sportsmanship – students demonstrate a positive attitude and act as goodwill ambassadors for the school.
- "Coachability" – students are willing to respond to coaching instructions, suggestions, and ideas.
- Team Spirit – student behaviour towards all of their teammates is supportive at all times.
- Safety Considerations – a student's skill level/ability is a safety consideration for self and others.
- Rationale – Coaches should establish a sound rationale for the team selection process that is consistent with the Guidelines for Elementary Inter-School Sports Activities in Regina Catholic Schools.
5) All eligible students should be given an opportunity to compete and enjoy equal playing time during regular season play. All players will shift in and out on or about the 4 minute mark of each quarter to ensure equal playing time. No player will be allowed to play more than two consecutive shifts unless team numbers deem it necessary.
6) Each participant must return a signed copy of the `Participation Agreement Form`. Coaches should keep the signed form on file until the end of the school year.
7) The rules for Inter-School basketball are available on the Regina Catholic Schools website. The rules and expectations will be discussed at the pre-season coaches' meeting.
Coaches meeting Agenda
Coaches List 5 vs 5
Coaches List 3 vs 3
3 vs 3 rules 2020
5 vs 5 Rules 2020
Playoffs 2020RCS basketball score sheet.pdf
Updated Monday, Mar 9th, 2020 (1:50pm)