As we settle into this new reality, we thank you for following the guidelines for health and safety. In general, thorough hand washing and social distancing are highly recommended by the Saskatchewan Health Authority.
It's important to remind all families that the term "social distancing" means to stay away from others. This means playdates and social gatherings should all be cancelled. In particular, we want to remind families, and ask you to share this with your children, that this is not a time to socialize in person. Consider monitored social media use, FaceTime, Skype, and other ways to stay connected without being in the same building. We are aware many students enjoy their time away from school because they like spending time "hanging out." Even our teens, who will undoubtedly find this very difficult, must stay home. We know our students will miss their friends, but we also know our students want all their friends to stay healthy. Please see the included list of activities sorted into red, yellow, and green light categories for social distancing. Refrain from all activities listed as red light, and carefully consider any yellow light activities to determine possible risks for your family.
(Image above is not ours. It brilliantly explains what is safe during this time of social distancing, and we're very grateful to whoever created this!)
Below is a message from the Saskatchewan Government's Response and Planning Team (RPT). We ask that you read this carefully as the Regina Catholic School Division takes direction from the RPT on how we will deliver education moving forward.
Thank you for staying informed, and checking your email inboxes and www.rcsd.ca regularly for updates.
As has been stated numerous times, the situation is fluid. We appreciate your patience and calm. A reminder to visit www.Saskatchewan.ca/Coronavirus for all your COVID-19 related details, direct from the source.
Finally, let us remember to pray through this.
I hereby command you: Be strong and courageous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."
Regina Catholic Schools
--- of --
Ministry of Education
2220 College Avenue
Regina,Canada S4P 4V9
Saskatchewan has an Education Response Planning Team, consisting of officials from the Ministry of Education, Saskatchewan Teachers' Federation, Saskatchewan School Boards Association, the Saskatchewan Association of School Business Officials and the Saskatchewan League of Educational Administrators, Directors and Superintendents, that is meeting daily to support the education system in our response to COVID-19. For provincial updates and messaging regarding response to COVID-19 please continue to monitor Saskatchewan.ca.
The Response Planning Team would like to share the following with families:
• First, thank you to students, parents and caregivers for your understanding during these extraordinary times. We appreciate your patience and your flexibility. We are working hard to address the needs of students, staff and school communities as schools close starting today, March 20.
• The closure is considered indefinite. How long schools are closed and classes are suspended will depend on decisions made by Saskatchewan's Chief Medical Health Officer.
• For the upcoming week,we feel it is most important for school staff to pause, enact social distancing and focus on caring for themselves and their families. More information will be coming from school divisions about the next steps. Essential services, such as maintaining our buildings, will continue during this pause.
• Premier Scott Moe and Education Minster Gordon Wyant have committed that students will progress to the next grade or class and those who are eligible to graduate will do so.
• As has been stated, we are committed to ensuring that supplementary educational opportunities will be provided for students. Further information on this will be forthcoming.
• We know there are many questions about the details and the Response Planning Team is actively working on this. We are committed to supporting students.
• Education staff are continuing to be employed and paid, as they normally would be.
• The Response Planning Team is continuing to provide updates and information to School Divisions.School Divisions will continue to provide information to students and parents as it is available.
Thank you for your continued support and understanding.
The Response and Planning Team
RPT Letter to parents March 20 2020.pdf