Dear Thunderbolt Families!
This week our focus of forgiveness will be learning about and celebrating the Sacrament of Reconciliation. We have the opportunity to ask forgiveness for our sins or the times that we have turned away from God. Through this sacrament, we experience the grace of forgiveness and mercy from our God. This helps us to renew and strengthen our connection to God. Click here to watch a short video explaining the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
At our school, we will be introducing our Lent Journey - "As Disciples, We Carry the Cross". We will have ways for the students to practice fasting, almsgiving, and prayer throughout the Lenten season. We have a Lenten Cross Project as well as Weekly Lenten Intentions to help focus on the three ways to lead us closer to Christ.
"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
1 John 1:19
- Our basketball teams had their first playoffs this week. Our girls were successful in their playoff game and play their next game on Monday! Unfortunately, our boys played their best and lost a very close match to conclude their season. We are grateful for the sportsmanship and hard work displayed by our athletes and coaches.
- Our Attendance Matters Awareness winners were drawn on Friday. There were 206 out of 278 students with perfect attendance this week. Another fun fact is that we have had 107 students that had perfect attendance for the last four weeks! Way to go Thunderbolts!
- Week 1 - 75% perfect attendance
- Week 2 - 69% perfect attendance
- Week 3 - 69% perfect attendance
- Week 4 - 74% perfect attendance
- Attendance is important but there are times when students are too sick to send to school. With the global concern of the COVID virus, we want to share a few documents from Saskatchewan Health Authority to ensure that we all remain educated and prepared.
- COVID-19 is a respiratory illness and the best protection is every day preventive actions, including proper and frequent hand washing, cleaning high-traffic surfaces often with disinfectants, and staying home when sick. Please see this information from Saskatchewan Health Authority.
- Saskatchewan.ca/coronavirus is the single location for COVID-19 information for the public and care providers and will be updated frequently with the latest information.
- Additional information from Saskatchewan Health Authority related to influenza, guidelines to determine if your child is too sick for school, and posters for preventive actions can be found here.
- Don't forget to sell Little Ceasar's Pizza Kits this week! We have until Friday to make your sales. We will also communicate a date for pick up of the kits this week. The classroom that sells the most pizza kits will be receiving a special treat from the CSCC. Thanks for your help!
- Congratulations to all of our Band Days performers! We had 25 solos, duets and trios as part of the Band Days Festival. We also had three students asked to be part of the Grade 7/8 Select Band which performed Saturday night. Thank you to our teachers, Mr. Powley and Ms. Lucyk for working with our students and building their musical talents.
- Would you like to turn your teacher into a green-teaching-machine?!?
On St. Patrick's Day, Tuesday March 17, some of the St. Gregory teachers have volunteered to GET GREENED! The best part is that YOU might get the chance to turn your teacher green! Buy tickets for a chance to spray a teacher's hair green and paint their face green! Tickets are $0.50 each or 3 for $1. Tickets will be on sale first recesses the week before (Monday March 9 – Friday March 13). Students can pick which teacher's bucket they would like to green. One name will be drawn per teacher. Best of luck! Proceeds from this fun event will go to Catholic Education Matters.
- Our Lady of Peace is looking for items for some upcoming community sales.
- CWL Flea Market March 14 10:00 - 3:00PM. Admission is free. Table rentals are $25.00. Contact the church for more information if you wish to rent a table.
- Easter Spring Supper Fundraiser - tickets are available at the church for this catered meal.
- Clothing sale April 25 and 26 with donations accepted the week of April 19.
- Garage Sale May 1, 2 and 3 with donations accepted April 27 - 30
- A reminder that there is no school on Friday, March 20.
- Badminton is starting at St. Gregory! There was an opportunity to sign up this past week. All students are invited to sign up and participate from Grades 4 – 8.
- We have our second round of Student Involved Conferences and Goal-Setting scheduled for March 25 and 26. Every student is expected to attend a conference with their guardian to review their progress on their academic and social goals for the year. It is an opportunity to review your child's portfolio and discuss areas of focus for the last part of the school year. We want to celebrate success and continue to make progress on learning. The Conference Manager will open March 9 at 7:00AM. Please log in and schedule a time to meet with your child's teacher. If you need assistance, you can call the school to set an appointment.
- The Grade 7/8 students, under the leadership of Mr. Matlock, have once again been working on the Understand Us campaign for mental health. They will be recording the promotional video for the mental health focus this year. We are grateful for their leadership and the support of Understand Us to continue their education of mental health awareness and education in Saskatchewan.
Lord God, I trust in you today.
I thank you that you keep turning the pages of my life.
Everyday you give me a new beginning.
Help me to ride each new wave of temptation,
and to overcome the things that can drag my life down.
As I look to you I declare your promise of freedom over my life.
Growing in God's Grace,
St. Gregory Principal